Monday, October 13, 2008

A windows developer in a web 2.0 world - Challenge yourself

Sometimes things just becomes something you do every day. What happens? You start to make a cirkular reference to your self, every day looks like the day before and so forth.
I just had such a day, and wanted to break out of this pattern. I got stucked in a world of windows development, and saw a world of web drive by through the window. Stop! Challenge me :)
So I did, I converted a project from windows to web. But to make it something real fancy, possible a little to the alpha side, I used the latest .NET web technology ASP.NET MVC.
I played a little bit win webforms in ASP.NET, but ASP.NET MVC really got me hooked. A nice framework currently in preview 5, hope it soons becomes official, maybe at TechED, who knows?

Well the project started out quite well, I looked at the controller view and model, actually quite easy to use. Put on some basic controls, and played with the ASP.NET membership provider that comes along with preview 5. at http://ASP.NET/MVC there are some really good toturials, else look at Scott Gu blog.
Well time went on and I got control of some of the basic css rules, last time I was hooked on web development was when the only way to control your layout was to use nested tabels, alias tabel Hell, similar to dll hell in a windows world :).
I created a simple form to create some employees and needed to display them in a table/grid, dragged a basic asp.net form grid, and..... no go. What I can't use std. controls #%&¤"""""""% and the f word!
After some googling (In chrome), it was clear I had to find some javascript grid, hmmmm EXTJS, the greatest javascript widget library I have ever seen. I found the source and a couple of hours later I was up and running ASP.NET MVC, EXTJS using JSON.

Thats deffinently a success to me a windows man working in a web 2.0 world ;) ths is a tst

No comments: